We’re delighted to announce the full programme for ROUNDABOUT @ Summerhall in 2022!
This Summer, our portable pop-up theatre venue Roundabout will take over Summerhall at Edinburgh Festival Fringe. During the month of August the award-winning, in-the-round auditorium will host three premieres from trailblazing playwrights Dipo Baruwa-Etti (Half-Empty Glasses), Sami Ibrahim (A Sudden Violent Burst of Rain) and Laura Lindow (The Ultimate Pickle) and the return of Chris Bush’s critically acclaimed play Hungry which premiered at Roundabout last year.
These will be performed in rep alongside visiting artists presenting theatre, cabaret, comedy, family shows, drag and more from 3 – 28 August.
Visiting artists also presenting work include YESYESNONO, Ellie Keel Production, Maimuna Memon, Francesca Moody Productions and Nouveau Riche. The productions include:
- YESYESNONO: we were promised honey! – From the makers of Five Encounters on a Site Called Craigslist, the theatre makers bring an act of communal storytelling. A hopeful, hopeless prophecy for earth and humankind. A story of us, our future, of paradise and how we get there in the end.
- Atticist, Ellie Keel Productions, and MAST Mayflower Studios in association with 45North: SAP – A contemporary thriller with ancient roots. When a woman tells a lie to her girlfriend, a seed is planted that starts to grow in the darkness. Now roots are cracking up through the pavement and branches are coming in at the windows, and – as she starts to see things that no one else can – she becomes the focus of some seriously unwanted attention.
- Maimuna Memon: MANIC STREET CREATURE – A fresh and thrilling take on a modern love story, from the composer of critically acclaimed ‘Electrolyte’. Love, lust and late nights collide in a musical roller-coaster that takes the audience through the euphoria and distress of two young people dealing with their own and each other’s mental health.
- Nouveau Riche: CASTE-ING – Caste-ing explores the experiences of three black actresses using beatboxing, rap, song and spoken word. An entertaining and rhythmic showcase of the realities, structures and pressures of the acting industry, and how black women navigate these situations.
- Francesca Moody Productions: KATHY AND STELLA SOLVE A MURDER – a hilarious murder mystery musical from the Olivier Award-winning team behind Fleabag, Baby Reindeer and A Super Happy Story (About Feeling Super Sad).
Roundabout will also play host to LATER, a programme of late night one-off performances from a range of companies and artists at Edinburgh Festival Fringe including theatre, comedy, cabaret, music and loads more.
The LATER programme will include:
- Travis Alabanza & Friends! A Night of Queer Cabaret. With their book launch in Edinburgh earlier that day, Travis Alabanza comes to Roundabout to throw a proper one-off, late-night party! Alabanza has been performing in London queer clubs for the last seven years, and they will bring their unique blend of humour, campness and politics in a jam-packed hour of queer art alongside some of their favourite performer pals. Performing for one night only on 3rd August.
- ORPHEUS by Wright&Grainger, a multi-award winning, internationally-acclaimed, radical retelling of the Ancient Greek myth. Created by Phil Grainger and Alexander Wright, ORPHEUS has played over 450 shows across the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Bali and off-Broadway. Wound from a heady might of soaring melodies and hair raising spoken word, ORPHEUS comes to Roundabout for two very special late night shows on 12-13 August.
Tickets are on sale now from EdFringe and Summerhall.
We can’t wait to be back, welcoming the best in new writing to the big yellow tent.