We’re running Open Auditions again, this time in collaboration with Northern Stage!
As usual, we’re looking to meet actors previously unknown to Paines Plough with a passion for new writing, this time in Newcastle and the surrounding area. You can apply from now (16 April) until 10am on Monday 03 May.
We will be seeing approximately 85 actors living in the following postcodes: NE, SR, DH, DL or TS.
Selected actors will be met by a selection of artistic staff from Paines Plough and Northern Stage as well as producing companies from the North East, selected by Northern Stage through an open call-out.
Audition panellists on Friday 14 May will include Katie Posner (Paines Plough’s Joint-Artistic Director), Natalie Ibu (Northern Stage’s Artistic Director), Annie McCourt (Northern Stage’s Associate Producer), and selected panellists from producing companies in the North East.
Audition panellists on Saturday 15 May will include Natalie Ibu (Northern Stage’s Artistic Director), Annie McCourt (Northern Stage’s Associate Producer), and Kaleya Baxe (Paines Plough’s Trainee Director), and selected panellists from producing companies in the North East.
On Sunday 16 May the panel for auditions will be a North-East only panel – including Natalie Ibu (Northern Stage’s Artistic Director), Annie McCourt (Northern Stage’s Associate Producer), and selected panellists from producing companies in the North East.
When applying, you will be asked to indicate which day you would like to audition on.
Sound good? This is how to apply…
• Register by filling in this form by 10am on Monday 03 May. There’s no need to send in anything else in advance.
• If you are selected to audition, we’ll get in touch with you by Friday 07 May with an audition time – make sure you let us know if you can make it or not as soon as possible. If we don’t hear from you by midday on Tuesday 11 May we will reallocate your slot to someone on the waiting list.
• Don’t worry, you’ll hear from us whatever the outcome. If you’re not selected to audition this time, we may keep you on a waiting list and may offer you an audition if a slot becomes available.
• Once everything’s confirmed, please prepare a three-minute monologue from a play written in the last 15 years.
Some things to bear in mind:
• If you have auditioned for Paines Plough before (either at an Open Audition or as part of casting for a specific show), unfortunately we won’t be able to see you this time round.
• We are specifically looking to audition actors who do not have an agent and we will prioritise seeing actors who
– Are Black and ethnically diverse
– Identify as disabled
• Places are all allocated in advance. Due to high demand we can’t accommodate requests for a different time, and we will be unable to see people on a walk-up basis. In the application, you’ll be able to indicate what time of day you’re available and we’ll try our best to accommodate this.
• If for any reason you can’t make your audition please let us know ASAP by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you don’t turn up to your audition without letting us know in advance, you won’t be able to apply for future Paines Plough Open Auditions.
• We can only accept applications made with this form before the deadline.
• Due to the large volume of people we’ll be seeing, we unfortunately won’t be able to offer feedback.
• We aren’t casting for a particular show at the moment – we just want to meet some new actors so that we can bear you in mind for future productions.
• Ping us an email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re not sure about anything.
• Don’t worry if you don’t live in the area specified – we try to hold as many Open Auditions as we can throughout the year all around the UK. Join our mailing list or keep an eye on our social media for details of the next ones…
Hope to see you there!
Team PP and Northern Stage